TRAVELLING TO COMBLOUX and FINDING OUR APARTMENTS
The village of Combloux is 542 miles (7 hrs 30 mins) by autoroute from Calais, or just over an hour driving from Geneva, and its location overlooking the Arve Valley is ideal for road access to the whole region including such well known ski resorts as Chamonix, Les Contamines, Megève, Avoriaz and Flaine.
- Avoid Saturday changeovers
- Travel can be much cheaper and less crowded. Our bookings start any day for any number of days.
- By air
- Fly to Geneva. See 'Flights'. Then to get to Combloux:
- - Scheduled coach link
- OUIBUS operates a direct coach service. 1 hour 20 mins to Combloux tourist office - book (early) in advance - from 25€ each way.
- - Minibus operators
- Several small compnies have grown up in recent years including: peak transfer, resort rides, mountain drop-offs and there are shuttles to Sallanches e.g. by Cham Express and AlpyBus.
- - Hire a car.
- This is normally the best value for 4 people. See 'Car hire' with routes out of the airport.
For a long weekend, you don't really need a car. The cheap local ski-pass is extensive enough, and - one day off work gets you 3 days skiing!
For 7 days or more, seriously consider driving from the UK.
- - Get a taxi.
- Taxis to the airport cost in the region of 200 € each way; but it may be worth getting a taxi from your apartment to the village centre or to Sallanches.
- A car is really useful in Combloux
- The village keeps its beauty and charm because it is spread out. There is no concrete complex, but there is excellent road access and plenty of free parking. A car means easy access to shopping, dining, and activities.
- Drive from home
- We always do. Get a Cross-channel ferry or tunnel, and take your comfort and convenience with you. It takes the hassle out of luggage and shopping, wins you more skiing time and more duty free!
This site gives advice on the route, overnight stops, snow chains etc.; and links to other useful sites. We are happy to advise before the event or text us while en-route (but do read our travel advice before starting).
- Fast train from Paris
- We have no direct experience but a few visitors travel by train. (I think) It takes about 4½ hours (versus 5½ by car) and a single is about 100€
FINDING the APARTMENTS
See 'Finding apts' for detailed notes. Make sure the navigator has studied them in advance. Normally it is easy, but if it is dark and/or snowing it will be hard to recognise features and turnings. Or you may be tired and concentrating on controlling the car. If there is snow and you are still climbing, you probably need snow chains on.
If you have a satnav you're looking for Combloux, 2999 Route de Vernay. But again do have read and heeded our warnings about satnav misdirection.